Sunday, October 24, 2010

Observations 10-24

8:30 PM - 9:30 PM

Tonight, I started looking at the fall constellations (before my teacher gave us any quizzes on them), and I was able to recognize Pegasus directly north of Uranus (at nearly the same spot in the sky as Jupiter, but I didn't see any moons, so I am guessing the mysterious planet I have seen in my past two observations was Uranus.).  I was only able to recognize the summer constellations of Aquila, Lyra, and Cygnus because it started getting cloudy.  I also noticed the constellation Cepheus before I looked near the moon and saw Pleiades (AKA "The Seven Sisters").  Overall, it was a pretty good night for stargazing, so I just wish the clouds hadn't rolled in so soon.

EDIT: Further investigation using Google and a few good websites showed that the "bright planet" was actually Jupiter (Uranus was close-by in the sky, but about as dim as every other star in the area).  My mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment